Trocoxyl is a non-steroid type pain medication. It has a strong anti-inflammatory effect and is most often prescribed for degenerative changes in bone and cartilage tissues (bursitis, osteoarthritis, and so on). Before using Trocoxil for treating dogs, read the instructions. The drug has a strong effect and if the recommended doses are not followed, it can cause side effects.
Composition and form of release
Trocoxyl is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. The active substance in it is mavacoxib. The substance affects the production of prostaglandins, which are synthesized as a result of the inflammatory process that occurs in the body. The concentration of mavacoxib in the preparation can be different, which allows you to easily select the necessary dose for the animal, taking into account its weight.
Trocoxyl is available in the form of tablets, they have a light brown tint and a triangular shape. The concentration of the active substance in one pill can be 6, 20, 30, 75 or 95 mg. Tablets are packed in two pieces in blisters and packed in cardboard boxes. Each package is completed with instructions for use. The meat aroma, which gives the drug a flavor, greatly simplifies the administration of the medicine, as this smell attracts animals.
Troxoxyl has this effect:
- stops inflammatory processes;
- eliminates swelling;
- relieves pain;
- lowers body temperature as it rises.
The peculiarity of mavacoxib is that it acts on COX-2 and has practically no effect on COX-1, therefore, in therapeutic doses it does not affect the physiological processes and the functioning of internal organs.
The drug is rapidly absorbed from the digestive tract into the bloodstream and after 1-1.5 hours it begins to act. The maximum concentration of the active substance in the blood is reached after 17 hours from the time of administration. The elimination time from the body is 39 days. The drug is excreted almost unchanged along with bile.
Indications for use
Troxoxil is prescribed to pets as an anti-inflammatory agent or analgesic for:
- destruction or pinching of the vertebral discs;
- other degenerative processes of the joints.
The doctor should prescribe the drug after examining the dog and conducting the necessary examination. Do not self-medicate or give Troxoxil for preventive purposes, as this can cause an overdose and entail unpleasant side effects and poor health.
Instructions for use
Dosage depends on the weight of the animal. One kilogram of weight requires 1.5 mg of Mavacoxib. The table shows the doses recommended by the manufacturer:
Weight in kilograms
Number of tablets and concentration
1 to 6 mg
2 to 6 mg
1 to 20 mg
1 to 30 mg
2 to 20 mg
1 to 20 + 1 to 30 mg
2 to 30 mg
1 to 75 mg
1 to 95 mg
1 to 75 mg + 1 to 30 mg
1 to 95 mg + 1 to 30 mg
2 to 75 mg
According to the instructions, it must be given once in the above dose. The medicine is given again only after two weeks, and then once a month.
When using Trocoxil for the treatment of dogs, a number of important rules should be observed:
- You can take the drug no more than 7 times, that is, the duration of treatment should not be more than 6.5 months.
- You can not stop taking even in cases where there is a noticeable improvement in the health of the pet.
- It is strictly forbidden to give the load to the dog during treatment with Troxoxil. After several doses, an improvement in the condition due to the anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects of the drug can be observed, but the degenerative process can continue to develop slowly, so the slightest load (training, long runs) can accelerate this process.
- It is better to give tablets to the animal with food. This will reduce the effect on the digestive tract and there will be less risk of side effects.
- It is not recommended to skip taking medications, as this can lead to a decrease in effectiveness.
- If the drug could not be taken on time, it is necessary to restore treatment as soon as possible and continue according to the prescribed schedule.
It is forbidden to take Trocoxil together with other non-steroidal drugs or corticosteroids. Increased toxicity can be hazardous to the health of the pet. If earlier the animal was given a different non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, then taking Troxoxil is possible only after a day.
Contraindications and side effects
Despite the high effectiveness of the medication, in some cases it is forbidden to use it. Contraindications are:
- age up to 1 year;
- weight less than 3 kg;
- stomach ulcer;
- renal failure and other kidney problems;
- hypersensitivity to the components of the drug, which is manifested by allergic reactions.
It is not recommended to prescribe a drug for pregnant and lactating bitches, but in some cases it can be used under the supervision of a doctor. With caution, it should be used for diseases of the liver, heart and circulatory system.
In case of an overdose or the occurrence of allergic reactions, the following phenomena can be observed:
- lethargy and weakness;
- lack of appetite.
The biochemical parameters of the kidneys may change, but this can only be detected by passing tests.
If side effects occur, you should immediately consult a doctor. Do not ignore the symptoms or self-medicate. You need to stop taking the medicine, and the doctor will prescribe symptomatic treatment.
Precautions and storage rules
Trocoxyl belongs to the third hazard class, therefore, when using it, the following rules should be followed:
- For the period of work with the medicine, refuse food and any drinks.
- Do not smoke when giving the drug to a dog.
- Wash your hands after the procedure. Use soap and running water.
- If the medicine enters the skin or mucous membranes, it is necessary to rinse the area with water.
- If allergic reactions occur, consult a doctor, taking along instructions for use or packaging from the drug.
- It is forbidden to use packaging for domestic purposes. Must be disposed of with garbage.
Keep the medicine at a temperature of 0 to 30 ° C away from ultraviolet radiation, out of the reach of animals and children. After the expiration date, use is prohibited.
You can see the current price of the drug and buy it right here:
When buying Trocoxil for dogs, you should pay attention that the price depends on the content of the active substance in tablets. Below is the approximate cost of packaging (2 tablets):
- 6 mg - 700-900 rubles;
- 20 mg - 1090-1230 rubles;
- 30 mg - 1200-1350 rubles;
- 75 mg - 1400-1500 rubles;
- 95 mg - 1600-1700 rub.
Ksenia, mistress Alabai:
"The doctor prescribed for the treatment of arthrosis. The course of treatment was 5.5 months. Our dog ate pills without problems, and there were no negative actions. Although the doctor warned that gastrointestinal disorders, lethargy, apathy are possible. He said that in this case it is necessary immediately contact him. Now our favorite got better and returned to her usual way of life. "
Valentine, mistress of the dog:
"The doctor prescribed us Trocoxil for osteoarthritis. We agreed to pay a high price (the veterinarian said that the cost justifies itself), but it was not in our small town. I can’t judge the effectiveness and danger of the drug, since we never used it . They replaced the medicine with Previkox. "
Michael, a veterinarian with extensive experience:
"In my opinion, it can be attributed to safe drugs when used properly compared to preparations based on carprofen. Like other NSAIDs, it can cause serious side effects. To prevent this, the animal undergoes tests before treatment and while taking the drug to monitor vital signs. In addition, I recommend giving the drug along with food. Be sure to instruct the owners in detail what to do when side effects occur, because timely assistance is the key to the health of your pit mtsa".
"Troxoxil is a modern and effective drug. It is widely used in orthopedics for the destruction of cartilage in the joints. It has a good analgesic effect. Owners of sick dogs notice a rapid improvement in pets. When used correctly and when the doses are observed, it does not cause side effects. that side effects occur only when a dose of 1.5 mg per kilogram of animal weight is exceeded. "