A cat’s estrus is a psychophysiological condition before mating, which is characterized by a craving for the opposite sex and indicates readiness for reproduction.
When does it start
On average, puberty in a cat occurs at the age of 6-12 months. In some individuals, it happens a little earlier or later.
The first estrus is not a reason for mating, as the body is still too young and not fully formed. Pregnancy can occur with complications. There is a high probability of difficult birth and the birth of inferior kittens. If knitting is planned, then it is better to do this closer to a year and a half or even a little later.
The estrus is considered a complex physiological process, which consists of several stages. Let's consider each of them in more detail:
- Proestrus. Duration is up to 4 days. The animal behaves calmly, but already shows increased tenderness for the owner. Discharges appear.
- Estrus. The longest stage. Strong anxiety and all the characteristic symptoms of estrus are manifested. On day 3-5, ovulation occurs. It is at this time that you need to plan for mating.
- Metestrus. Lasts 3-10 days. A decrease in sexual desire is noted, the pet gradually calms down.
- Anestrus. All signs disappear, the hormonal background is normal.
With the onset of oestrus, the behavior of the cat changes dramatically, which will always be noticeable even to not too observant hosts.
Here is a list of the most common symptoms:
- bends a back, takes away a tail, raises a basin up;
- becomes affectionate and intrusive;
- begins to rub on different objects (carpets, furniture, walls);
- meows and howls plaintively (calls upon the cat);
- affectionate mood is sharply replaced by aggressive behavior;
- licks genitals;
- frequent urination
- discharge (transparent and invisible);
- leaves tags;
- poor appetite or lack thereof;
- trying to escape from home.
The animal may lose some weight, but do not worry about it. Then the appetite will return, and body weight will be restored. Despite a decreased appetite, the pet is often thirsty. It is important to ensure that he always has clean water in sufficient quantity.
There are cats in which there are no symptoms of estrus. Usually, this happens in obese animals or too weak animals. In veterinary practice, such a condition is called anaphrodisia. With this pathology, hormone therapy is prescribed in the form of intramuscular injections.
If estrus lasts too long, this is also considered a violation. It is necessary to conduct a diagnostic study to determine the cause of the pathology. Most often, there are problems with the ovaries (inflammatory processes, cysts, neoplasms). Treatment consists of subcutaneous administration of estrogens and progestogens.
How many days does it last
The duration of estrus in cats is individual, determined by several factors. Among them:
- Season. In spring, sexual activity is increased.
- Age. In adulthood, estrus is shorter and less common.
- Physiological features.
On average, the duration of this period is from 5 days to two weeks. If less, then the cause may be ovarian underdevelopment or thyroid disease.
The periods between estruses also differ in different cats. In one specimen, estrus occurs once a month, in the other, only twice a year.
How to stop
This period gives inconvenience to both the cat and its owner. Therefore, you need to think about how to alleviate her suffering. There are several ways.
To prevent estrus, you can sterilize the animal. Another option is hormonal drugs (Pillcan, Contrax and others). They are sold at any veterinary pharmacy. But too often giving the cat hormones is not worth it. It is better to do this no more than twice a year. Long-term use of such drugs increases the risk of developing ovarian and uterine tumors.
To alleviate the condition of the pet during estrus, there are also special tools. For example:
- Bach Drops. They have a calming effect, do not inhibit the nervous system, do not contain artificial additives.
- Fospasim (drops or injections). Facilitates the emotional and psychological state of the animal, effectively relieves anxiety. The components of a homeopathic remedy do not accumulate in the body.
- Cat Baiyun. Water infusion of medicinal herbs. It consists of natural ingredients: lemon balm, hypericum, thyme, sweet clover, valerian. It is absolutely safe.
All of the above funds have a mild effect, soothe the cat. They can be added to food or given at the tip of your finger. But it should be borne in mind that estrus does not stop.
There are several other ways to distract the animal.
- Night sleep. If you do not let the cat sleep during the day, then by night she will fall asleep, and will not arrange loud "concerts".
- Games. Outdoor games help you get distracted and help get rid of excess energy.
- Bathing. If you wet the tail or completely redeem it, then it will begin to lick itself and be distracted.
In no case should not scold the cat or punish her. Of course, unwanted pet behavior and intrusive meowing can annoy the host. But screaming will only exacerbate the problem. The animal will receive severe psychological trauma.
Is it possible to sterilize during estrus
Sterilization is carried out exclusively during the period of sexual rest, so as not to provoke a hormonal failure. In addition, during estrus, blood flow to the genitals increases, so intervention is not recommended. It is necessary to wait for at least a couple of weeks to pass from the end of estrus.
A cat’s eating is an absolutely natural process, but it requires attention from the owners. If the breeding of kittens is not included in the owner's plans, then it is better to take care of sterilization in advance.